Well hey, this one is on the new website!
Hello there, welcome to this project’s Case Study! In this opportunity, I am going to tell you about an awesome time where my team and I decided to redesign Zara’s Website.
After completing my training on General Assembly as a UX/UI Designer, I wanted to further develop my skills and did so by getting together with ex-colleagues from the course to address the struggles users were experiencing on Zara’s Website. In a group of 3, for 3 weeks, we wanted to:
For our last project at General Assembly UX Design Immersive, we worked in groups of 3 with clients. Our group was assigned the client We and AI, an organisation dedicated to increase public awareness and understanding of AI issues in the UK, with an ambassador system made of volunteers.
Because they are a new organisation, with no funding at the moment, they want to engage with the public with the topic of Racial Bias in AI, as is becoming increasingly important.
While at the General Assembly UX Design Immersive, we had a group conceptual project assigned, where our group (4 members) was tasked (in 2 weeks) to design a conceptual mobile App for Byron Burgers.
While at the General Assembly UX Design Immersive, I got the opportunity to work on a reskin project for The Music Therapy Charity (MTC) website. In the time span of 1 week, we worked alone but shared our progress to exchange feedback. The deliverables giving where:
Before we jump ahead on the design process, the MTC is a UK based charity that supports the research into the impact of music therapy and music therapy services.
During the General Assembly UX Design Immersive, I had a project focused on visual design. I was giving Buddy, a conceptual app for a community of gardeners that would allow them to read and post information about plants. In the 1 week, applying a user-centred design process, I had to come up with:
For this project, I applied…
While at the General Assembly UX Design course, I was tasked to design a conceptual e-commerce website prototype of mid-fidelity, for a toy shop. In the time span of 2 weeks.
The first few days, we worked in groups so that we could share our interview insights and knowledge acquired of toy shops in general. And the rest of the first and second week, I worked solo and focused on representing the user’s problem and designing a prototype to solve them.
The app was part of the first project at the General Assembly UX Design Immersive. I was tasked to design a conceptual mobile app prototype to attend and solve a specific problem of an assigned classmate, in 1 week.
My assigned partner was Fina Khalil. And the first thing I had to do was:
I had the pleasure of…